DeWaters Art Center
Known today as the Flint Institute of Arts, the Enos and Sarah DeWaters Art Center was built in 1958. Through the years, the DeWaters family was very involved in the college and cultural development of Flint. In 1955, Mr. DeWaters donated funds toward the building of a new art center, which housed four art programs, and was named in memory of his wife.
This gallery, designed for temporary exhibitions, is named in honor of Dr. Stuart Hodge who served as the FIA's Director for 21 years, and acquired many of the Institute's most impressive works of art
Hurand Sculpture Courtyard
The FIA celebrates the decades of dedication demonstrated by the Hurand family, in particular the matriarch, Bess. The sculpture courtyard, named in their honor, is an extraordinary outdoor gallery, which will present large sculptures within a unique, ever-changing, "sky box."
George Crapo Willson was the grandson of Michigan's 15th governor. In 1928, he was among the initial founders and benefactors of the FIA and the first President of the Board of Trustees.
Frances Willson Thompson's interest in the FIA followed the footsteps of her father, George Willson. Her steadfast financial support and devotion to the growth of the Institute was an inspiration to generations of Flint's citizens.
Arthur and Miriam Summerfield were community leaders involved in the economic, political, and cultural growth of the region. Throughout their public service, they promoted their home of Flint. Today, their children carry on their legacy.
Bray Renaissance Gallery
Dedicated in 1961, this gallery was designed to exhibit ten 17th Century French tapestries and period furnishings, which Viola E. Bray purchased for the FIA. Her extensive personal collection of paperweights are now a part of the FIA's permanent collection.
Ruth Mott Gallery
Ruth Rawlings Mott was a community leader and a national philanthropist. Mrs. Mott was an active member and patron of the Institute. Recently, her foundation has suppported the conservation of the Lewandowski murals and installation of the Massey fresco mural.
Robert S. & Judy W. Piper Print Library
Bob and Judy's affiliation with the FIA began early in their marriage working as volunteers through the Friends of Modern Art at the Art Fair. Their interest in art and the FIA, as a couple and individually, evolved into participating in studio classes, interpreting the collection through the Docent program, participating in both the Founders Society and FOMA, collecting contemporary prints, serving on countless committees and on the Board of Trustees. Bob served twice and Judy once as President of the Board. In 2008, Bob and Judy established a Charitable Remainder Trust through the Community Foundation of Greater Flint to benefit the Membership Endowment of the FIA. Currently, Bob is serving a new term on the Board of Trustees and is a volunteer in the Curatorial Department assisting in the digital cataloging of works on paper in the permanent collection.
Decorative Arts Gallery
Charles Stewart Mott Gallery Wing
The enduring legacy of C.S. Mott continues today through the tremendous work of the foundation he created, sustaining his belief in the link between the vitality and health of Flint's institutions with that of the communiity, it's citizens, and visitors. In 2005, the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation granted the funds to build the Phase II 17,000 sq. ft. addition.
Donald E. and Alice D. Johnson, community-minded philanthropists, were longtime members of the FIA. Individually and through their foundation, they were instrumental in building the FIA's permanent collection with gifts of major works of art.
Flint Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon, Dr. Fouad A. Rabiah, was a connoisseur and collector of art with a keen interest in American painting, particularly from the first half of the 20th century. For many years, he generously contributed his time and interest to the FIA as a patron, as well as serving on the Board of Trustees.
Herbert and Grace Dow were both devoted to their family, community, and to the enhancement of the quality of life for everyone in the Midland area and in Michigan. In 2005, the Dow Foundation awarded the FIA funds to complete the capital campaign and granted a leadership gift to the 2006 Endowment Campaign.
Fleckenstein Video Gallery
This cutting-edge media art space is a gallery designed specifically for video art named in honor of John and Janie Fleckenstein. Janie, an artist, and John have been lifelong lovers of the arts.